Engaging Social Media to Improve Graduate School Services
On December 4, 2013, Karen Klomparens, Associate Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of the Graduate School at Michigan State University, and Karen DePauw, Vice President and Dean of Graduate Education at Virginia Tech will be presenting a workshop prior to the Council of Graduate Schools 53rd Annual Meeting. The workshop is entitled “Engaging Social Media to Improve Graduate School Services.” You can read more about the workshop in the conference program.
Below is a set of resources that Dr. Klomparens shared as part of the workshop. You can follow the CGS Annual Meeting, including this pre-meeting workshop, live on Twitter using #CGS53. I was happy to collaborate with her on this project. If you have any questions about the materials please let me know.
This worksheet walks the user through the strategic process required to build an effective social media presence for your college. The worksheet will help you outline your objectives, goals, audience targets, and key messages and help you to identify potential platforms for your messaging. Deans and directors can use this worksheet to help develop a strategy, and work with their communications team to help make the strategy a reality.
Additional Resources Document
- Listen Up! Series on k-squaredcreative.com
- The Social Alumnus: Implications of Social Identity Theory in the Digital Era on k-squaredcreative.com – http://bit.ly/SocialAlumnus
- How to Use HootSuite for Social Listening on blog.hootsuite.com – http://bit.ly/HootListen
Blogs to Explore
- Mashable.com – Good updates on the latest in social media
- Blog.HootSuite.com – A must-read if you use HootSuite to manage your social media accounts
- SchneiderB.com – Internet marketing for schools
- SocialMediaForColleges.com – Good resource for ideas on ways to use social media
- DanZarella.com – Science of social media timing & analytics
- GradHacker.org – Content source for social media links your students may be interested in.
- Chronicle.com/blogs/ProfHacker – Content source for social media links your students & faculty may find interesting.
Books for Further Reading
- Social Media for Social Good by Heather Mansfield (Available on Amazon)
- Measure What Matters: Online Tools for Understanding Customers, Social Media, Engagement and Key Relationships by Katie Delahaye Payne (Available on Amazon)
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use Social Media, Blogs, News Releases, Online Video, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly by David Meerman Scott (Available on Amazon)